mercoledì 15 aprile 2015

Sculpting tools

I've taken sculpting as a hobby about a year ago.
Starting as a layman the first thing I did was watching every youtube video I could find on materials, tools, techniques and such before making any purchase decision.
I ended up buying Super Sculpey and Super Sculpey Firm only to find out later that I didn't like them that much.
The tools I bought first were http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colour-Shaper-Black-Tip-Clay/dp/B0043GWDQ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429091689&sr=8-2&keywords=sculpting+tools+silicone and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Langnickel-RSET-POT4-Ribbon-Cutter/dp/B0018TQC6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429091739&sr=8-1&keywords=sculpting+tools+royal.

Why am I telling you this? Probably because I could have saved a lot if I knew what to expect and, right now, of the 13 tools in the two different set, I'm using only three or four.

So, in this first post, I'm going to post a photo of the tools I find myself using the most


my sculpting tools
As you can see a lot of my tools are handmade: using paperclips, guitar/bass/piano string and some epoxy putty.

I don't use all of the tools for a single sculpt but a selection of them, based on what I need.

The four I always use are the Kemper D7, the loop tool next to the derwent one, the engraving pen and the little black tool double sided made from a paper clip (the one with the "pointy" end).

I use them with every clay I've tested (Chavant NSP soft, medium and hard, Chavant LeBeau Touche, MonsterClay, Super Sculpey and Castilene) except for Water Based Clay (I mostly use wooden tool, a sponge, a brush and water)

Besides the sculpting tools I found the torch  and the lighter fluid to be essential (basically for melting clay in and smoothing the surface). The lighter fluid is rather aggressive, specially with chavant plasticine, it will smooth everything down and, on later stages of your work, if you're not careful you will erase details, wrinkles ecc. To avoid this problem you can use alcohol or thin down the lighter fluid.
Finally the canned air, when sprayed upside down, will freeze the surface of the clay.

1 commento:

  1. Thank you for sharing your sculpting tools and sculpting also is my hobby every time I feel stress and depress because of my work loads. But I'm not good, I'm just want to have past time.

    RispondiElimina